A vibrating back massager is safe during pregnancy if following proper instructions. A back massager can help relieve pregnant women’s issues, including back pains, sleep deprivation, and swelling. It reduces back and leg pains, minimizes stress, enhances sleep, and helps labor. It’s recommended not to use a vibrating back massager in the first 12 weeks of pregnancy as some pressure points may cause contractions resulting in early labor. A massager may also contribute to dislodging blood clots. Other alternatives include yoga, massage therapy, using a chiropractor, or doing light exercises.
Pregnancy is a hard time for a woman’s body as it undergoes several changes. The hormonal imbalance and changes can make it stressful.
To gain some relief, using a vibrating massager becomes very important during this time for some pregnant women.
Benefits of using a vibrating back massager during pregnancy
Pregnant bodies often mean pain in areas where you haven’t felt pain before. This pain can be in your back, legs, abdomen, feet, and arms.
The primary purpose of a vibrating massager is to help relieve some of these pains. And while it does that, below are more benefits you can get from it:
1. Lowers stress level
Pregnancy in itself is often stressful. Your hormones aren’t at their usual levels, and you might get more stressed from overthinking your baby’s arrival.
Add all that to your daily life stress can result in sore muscles, with your body taking all the stress in different parts of the body.
Stress isn’t good for you and your little one. So finding a remedy for those sore muscles can help to lower stress.
A massage reduces stress by increasing endorphins, dopamine, and serotonin.
2. Relaxes the muscles
With a vibrating massager, the sore and tense muscles can relax.
During pregnancy, the muscles can get tensed. It could also lead to water retention, which can cause the muscles to tighten and become sore.
The vibrating massager helps to improve the blood flow to the muscles so that they can relax.
This muscle relaxation feels great as the pain is relieved.
3. Improves sleep
Sleep is essential during pregnancy. A sore body with aching muscles will feel uncomfortable even when you are just lying in bed.
Using a massager on the sore muscles, a pregnant woman becomes more comfortable and will likely fall asleep quickly and comfortably.
4. Provides ease during labor
One reason that causes anxiety during pregnancy is facing labor, and research has shown that vibrating back massagers can be beneficial in easing labor.
Massagers not only help with the anxiety of facing labor but also ensure faster and easier labor while playing a part in decreasing the possibility of postnatal depression.
5 . Reduces back and leg pain
Pain is common in your lower back and legs during pregnancy. During this time, the uterus grows, and as a result, it takes up much room and pressurizes the body.
The pain is not possible to avoid or get rid of, but it is reduced by using a vibrating massager, and it will provide instant relief.
Must avoid areas with a vibrating massager while pregnant
For the mother-to-be’s and her baby’s safety, it is essential to avoid certain body parts with vibrating massagers.
Specific pressure points may cause severe problems because the body changes a lot during pregnancy.
- A pregnant woman should not have her lower legs massaged as the circulation of her body changes during this time.
- She should also avoid massaging her calf muscles as it may move any formed clots to the lungs, which can be life-threatening.
- Massaging the tummy area with a vibrating massager is also not advisable as it can cause tissue damage. Though gentle strokes with the hand is an excellent way to go about it.
- Massaging the lower back with any vibrating massager should also be avoided as it may cause severe back complications during pregnancy.
Alternatives to using a vibrating massager during pregnancy
Though vibrating massagers are mostly safe, some restrictions and precautions are always there when using them while pregnant.
In such cases finding other healthy alternatives is a must. To help your body relax during this challenging but exciting time, below are some other options:
- Yoga is an effective way of attaining peace and comfort in different body parts. A pregnant woman can follow and practice this method to find ease.
- Traditional massage therapies are risk-free and can be a safe way to find comfort for both mother and the growing fetus.
- Light exercises can also help to get blood circulation flowing. Some videos can be used as guidance during pregnancy, but most exercises can be done easily using different home equipment.
- Pregnant women can also book and get acupuncture sessions to help them. The right pressure points can be beneficial to them and their unborn babies to ease up.
- A pregnant woman is also at liberty to visit a chiropractor as they use different techniques to heal the pregnant body.
Can strong vibrations cause a miscarriage?
The answer to this question is not definitive as it depends on various factors such as the intensity and duration of the vibrations, the stage of the pregnancy, and the health of the mother and her baby.
Some studies have found no association between vibrations and a miscarriage, while others have suggested that it might be a risk factor.
Are vibrating massagers safe?
The simple answer to this question is that the safety of a vibrating massager depends on several factors, including the specific device, the person using it, and the user’s health condition.
However, most people consider vibrating massagers safe when used as directed.
But as with any medical device, always consult your healthcare provider before using a vibrating massager to ensure it is appropriately safe for you.
Pregnancy is short, but each day of it can be long. Using a vibrating back massager can be a great source of calm after a long day.
A back massager will comfort you and relieve the aches and pains of daily activities and stress.
Just be careful how and when you use it, and discuss the pros and cons of using it with your doctor before you jump in.