Last updated September 9th, 2020
It’s a common occurrence during the training days of tooth brushing. If you’ve ever spoken to your kiddos pediatric dentist, they would recommend you start brushing even before they have teeth. You’d use an extra soft finger brush or even a wet soft cloth to clean their gums right before their teeth start coming out.
Soon after they have a few teeth on the top and bottom row, you can get a toddler type toothbrush and give them fluoride-free toothpaste to get training.
During this time, my daughter would always like the taste of the fruity toothpaste and swallow most of it, which is fine as long you used the recommended pea-size amount of toothpaste.
This didn’t set a good habit for the future though when you’d want to use fluoride toothpaste to do a better job at cleaning their teeth.
If your toddler swallows some fluoride toothpaste don’t be alarmed immediately. The most that can happen, if you used the directed pea-size amount, would be some stomach upset. If you noticed your child swallowing a large amount of fluoride toothpaste, it’s time to call your doctor or poison control (1-800-222-1222) as the high level of toxicity can be dangerous.
The toothpaste that we all typically use (Colgate, Crest, etc..) usually has a low dosage of fluoride, just to get your teeth nice and clean. There are several other ingredients that make up the toothpaste, all if swallowed, can lead to stomach irritation like nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea.
If you transitioned your kiddo from fluoride-free toothpaste to one that has fluoride in it, and you notice them swallowing it a bit, take note.
It’s okay if they swallow a little or a lot from time to time, but if you notice this happening on a daily basis, it could lead to larger problems like gastrointestinal symptoms.
As with our daughter, we stayed on the fluoride-free toothpaste for some time longer, and taught her the good habit of spitting out all the toothpaste after you’re done using it.
Fluoride isn’t immediately dangerous but doesn’t belong in your child’s body
If your little one swallowed toothpaste once, don’t be alarmed. I’m glad you stumbled on this page, and hope to educate you on how it can be a problem if it occurs over the long run.
As I mentioned, fluoride has no need in your kiddo’s body, and can actually lower the amount of calcium and magnesium in their body.
If you bought the sensitive-teeth toothpaste, you want to be extra cautious, as it includes the ingredient nitrate which isn’t in most normal toothpaste.
I wrote another post a little while ago about how babies who drink unpure water with nitrate in it can get blue baby syndrome.
The nitrate that gets in your baby’s body affects the oxygen levels in their blood cells and they can start getting blue around parts of their body.
This is a rare thing that usually happens when babies are drinking formula milk, and the water used in the mixture is contaminated.
For your toddler whose most likely not drinking formula milk anymore, the nitrate is still harmful. So be extra cautious if you’re giving your little one those special sensitive teeth toothpaste with nitrate in it.
What to do if your toddler swallowed some fluoride toothpaste
If your little one swallowed a little fluoride toothpaste once, the worst that can happen is some stomach upset. If he or she has taken down alot by accident, you’ll want to contact poison control immediately at 1-800-222-1222.
A good tip, if this was a one-time low dose occurrence, is to give them something they like with calcium like milk or cheese. The calcium will bind with the fluoride and help with the relief process.
What’s my alternative safe toothpaste option for the future?
If you noticed your little one swallowing fluoride toothpaste on more than one occurrence, it might be time to switch things up.
An easy fix is to go back to fluoride-free “training toothpaste” and try to instill the good habit of spitting out the toothpaste so that your kiddo can go back to the fluoride toothpaste.
If you do gown this route, you’ll definitely want to stick to the regular 6-month pediatric dentist visit routine or even shorter time frame. This way your little one’s dentist can have more frequent looks to make sure his or her teeth are healthy.