I won’t lie to you. You will be worried thinking about how to help your baby’s stuffy nose, and it is extremely difficult to watch your little one struggle with a congested nose. Your baby is down with cold where her nose is blocked or runny, have difficulty breathing properly and every time they cough, it will just break your heart into tiny little pieces – and this is not even a ‘what if’ situation, it’s a ‘when’ situation. It’s likely your child will get a cold someday – face it, it’s inevitable, and you can’t even give any medicine. Although, there’s not much you can do but buying the right humidifier for your baby’s nursery can help relieve your little one of a congested nose.
Dry air causes moisture from the air to evaporate from the skin, which can cause an illness like a cold to worsen. The dry air can irritate the baby’s nose and airways, and that’s when buying a humidifier helps a lot. A Humidifier releases moisture in the air, which helps to decongest a blocked nose and also helps a baby to sleep peacefully. Humidity in the air can also soothe a dry throat, giving relief from cough. Look for humidifiers that have got an automatic shut-off feature, a bigger tank, and of appropriate size for the room. The 7 best humidifiers are Vicks Mini Cool Mist Ultrasonic Humidifier, Crane Ultrasonic Cool Mist Humidifier, Safety 1st 360 Degree Cool Mist Ultrasonic Humidifier, Taotronics Cool Mist Humidifier, Pure Enrichment Mistaire Ultrasonic Cool Mist Humidifier, Miro NR07G Humidifier, and Honeywell Hcm350w Germ-Free Cool Mist Humidifier.
Table of Contents
What is a Humidifier?
A humidifier is an electric device that releases vapor or steam and adds moisture in the air, or you can say that it adds humidity to the atmosphere around you. A humidifier inside the house can reduce symptoms like common cold, allergies, asthma and also reduces dry air which is known to cause cracked lips, sore throats, and nose bleeds.
Since babies breathe mainly through their nose, sinus and nose congestion can become common in them. Using a humidifier helps quite a lot during winter for babies and adults alike.
Do I need to use a humidifier for my baby?
Expectant parents will often want their baby’s nursery pitch-perfect before the baby comes, from the best crib to the best dresser that will last till she becomes a teenager; every item is picked with detailed thought. But, most of us overlook one item to keep in the nursery, and that is a good humidifier.
Now, many parents can mistake a humidifier for a vaporizer or vice versa. If you’d think both of these do the same thing, you’re quite mistaken. A humidifier releases cool or warm mist into the air while a vaporizer turns water into hot steam, and then releasing into air.
A humidifier can become as a protection against dry air, especially during winter months when the air inside your house can become dry because of the heating system of your house.
I remember when my little one would get cold during winter and had a blocked, stuffy nose; a good humidifier came in handy, trust me. The mums I know have always turned on the humidifier in their children’s room to help relieve them from a congested sinus. It’s not just with a blocked nose; a humidifier has also helped my little one from having severe dry skin which can become irritant later, resulting in scratches, red patches, and cracked lips.
The ideal humidity level is 30 to 50%, and this can drop down drastically during cold weather, especially when you turn on the heating system in your house.
What to consider before buying a humidifier?
Know the following aspects to check these boxes before buying a humidifier.
It’s easy to clean
Buy a humidifier that is easy to clean. It is necessary that the humidifier maintain its hygiene so that it doesn’t grow mold and is safe for your little one to breathe. Look for a humidifier where you can drain, rinse, clean and dry off without going through much hassle.
The water capacity
Check how big is the tank of the unit. Remember the smaller the tank, the more frequent you’ll have to fill it. A 1-gallon tank usually sustains for 24 hours on average.
It has an automatic shut-off feature
Usually, I turn on the humidifier at night, so I got a humidifier that automatically shuts off when the water in the tank starts getting empty.
Its size is appropriate for the room
Go for a humidifier that is not too small for the room which defies its purpose but also don’t buy a humidifier that is too big and risk mold growth.
It has lights and sound
This is an optional feature that you can look for. Some humidifiers have a built-in night light, and some play lullabies or white noise.
The best Humidifiers for your baby’s congestion
Vicks Mini Cool Mist Ultrasonic Humidifier
- With the translucent half gallon tank, the unit can provide visible cool mist up to 20 hours.
- It is perfect for small rooms like nurseries.
- It has an automatic shut-off feature.
- You get variable humidity control so that you can control the humidity level.
- It is travel-friendly.
- As it is filter-free, you don’t have to spend an extra dime on filters.
- It has a large tank opening, so it’s easy to fill or clean the unit.
- You can use this humidifier with VapoPads for scent.
Cons: Because of the small tank, the humidifier can run out of water quickly.
Crane Ultrasonic Cool Mist Humidifier
- It operates silently.
- It’s available in 8 different attractive colors.
- The humidifier has a 1-gallon tank that can run up to 24 hours.
- The unit can powerfully humidify a room up to 500 square feet.
- It has an automatic shut-off feature.
- The unit has a clean control antimicrobial material which helps reduces bacteria.
- You can also adjust the lid of the unit where the mist is needed the most.
Cons: The humidifier has a narrow steam opening, so it needs a little bit more work to clean it.
Safety 1st 360 Degree Cool Mist Ultrasonic Humidifier
- The unit has a light that indicates that the water level is low.
- It has two mist outlets and can rotate 360 degrees for uniform hydration.
- It comes with a large tank and runs up to 24 hours.
- It automatically shuts-off when the water is less.
- It comes with a 1-year warranty.
- It is considerably quiet.
Cons: The water tank is not larger, so it becomes difficult to refill.
Taotronics Cool Mist Humidifier
- It comes with a 1-gallon of tank and can run up to 30 hours.
- It operates very silently, which is great for bedtime and automatically shuts off.
- It comes with a LED indicator that shows if the water is low.
- It has 2 nozzles that can rotate 360 degrees and can be adjusted in any direction.
- It comes with a built-in filter which purifies tap water and reduces odor.
- You can control the humidity level by turning the knob on the unit.
Cons: This humidifier isn’t easy to clean.
Pure Enrichment Mistaire Ultrasonic Cool Mist Humidifier
- It comes with 2 different speed settings.
- It also has a night-light mode.
- The nozzle of the humidifier can rotate 360 degrees, misting in all directions.
- It has an automatic shut-off feature.
- It has a noise-less mechanism which helps babies sleep peacefully at night.
- With a half-gallon of a tank, the unit can work for 16 hours.
Cons: Past buyers have complained about the humidifier leaking a little, and if not cleaned regularly it might become moldy (but that’s a given with any humidifier you buy!). On a high setting, it isn’t able to last throughout the night (this is again with many of the humidifiers available on the market).
Miro NR07G Humidifier
- It can work for 8 hours on a high setting and 24 hours at a low setting.
- The mist from the humidifier can cover up to 600 square feet.
- The unit has an open-top, so it is easy to refill it up without switching it off.
- It operates quietly and automatically shuts off when the water level is low.
- The unit is made of BPA-free food-grade plastic, making it safe and sanitary.
- The humidifier is very easy to clean.
- It comes with a remote control that lets you change the humidity level from a distance.
Cons: The humidifier is a tad expensive compared to other listed humidifiers. Pink mold is visible after a few days of usage in the crooks of the humidifier.
Honeywell Hcm350w Germ Free Cool Mist Humidifier
- The unit can work up to 9 hours on a high setting and for 14 hours on a low setting.
- It’s an evaporative humidifier, releasing an invisible mist.
- The unit has a UV light which can kill 99% of germs, fungus and mold.
- It has a large opening, so it becomes easy to clean.
- The carry handle is strong, so you can transport it around the house easily.
- Easy to operate, plug it and it will start producing mist.
- It runs quietly.
- You can control the moisture level with the speed settings.
- It can run up to 24 hours if set on low.
Cons: The humidifier is quite large (so consider where you’d put it in the nursery), and the filters need regular replacement.
When your little one is down with a cold and is struggling with a stuffy nose, there’s so little we can do for them. But, buying the right humidifier can be the first step towards helping them relieve some of the symptoms of a cold.
The best way to buy the right humidifier is to choose simple, which is easy to use, easy to fill and easy to clean. We already have so much on our plate and attending to a sick baby is no walk in the park, so we don’t need a complex humidifier which requires too much of work put in. So, choose what you think will be the best option for you and your baby.
Also, tell us if you’ve had success with humidifiers in the past and share tips on what else you do to help your child with relieving her congestion.
Located in India and a mother to a joyfully mischievous son, Kelin is the wife of the world’s most patient man and a busy homemaker. When she’s not running after her kid, Kelin is busy reading, travelling, and penning down words on her laptop. She believes the world will always try to instil ‘mom guilt’ in new mothers, but she goes by the maxim ‘a mother knows best’.